Monday, July 04, 2005

The Roam Chronicles: Alohas and Endless Mai Tais

June 16 -23, 2005: Honolulu, Hawaii (Oahu, Waikiki Beach and North Shore)


I had almost forgotten how beautiful the Hawaiian Islands were. Prior to heading to Logan Airport, I did the customary weather-check for Honolulu, HI: Consistently 89 degrees and sunny, except for a couple of days with alleged scattered showers. It did rain on some days, but when it did - it would dry out within 5 minutes. Even though I had been here twice before, I knew this trip would give me a newfound appreciation for beauty (and sweet pineapples).


Uncle Marv and Lucy scheduled their wedding on the afternoon of the 17th, giving me enough time to unpack, catch up with family and take in the wonderful sea breeze. The view from the hotel, overlooking the Ewa side of Waikiki was amazing. I thought to myself: If lived here, surely this view to greet me every morning would get annoying after a while. Sure, right - of course... all the uncanny ways of ridding myself of the "Anywhere-but-here (Boston, that is) Syndrome."

About a year ago, I remember commending the couple for choosing a great venue for their wedding. It was good to see family whom I have not seen in several years. The ceremony was a small and intimate occasion, with the lush greens of the gardens in the background. It was almost as if the blooms and even the weather was ordered especially for that day. We went up to the deck where the meals and the other festivities were to be held. The sight was one to behold. (Enough to get me sidetracked enroute to the bar and the hors d'oueveres station.)

We headed out to the North Shore afterwards and drove around the island. Great views all throughout, didn't seem to have encountered traffic at any point. Had several stops before heading into the central area where the surf shops and the restaurants (including the famous Matsumoto Shave Ice shack) are located. As we waded on the beach, we caught sight of boats - reminiscent of crew, but with canoe paddles. On this same shore, Aunt Merlyn and I were a few arms-length away from 3 huge sea turtles. We rolled up our pants to get closer, wanted to touch them and tried to get them to the shore. Wished we had anticipated this and dressed accordingly.

Gigantic waves on the North Shore, nothing compared to the waves I have seen at Cape Cod, or anywhere in the East. The swells can get as high as 30 feet in December. This location was several miles away from the fabled Banzai Pipeline.


Completely random - I never fully understood this one either (along with the Hawaiians' reported Spam consumption).

Buddhist Temple on the way back from Hanaluma Bay. I remember it being a bit cold that day, but not quite stopping us from roaming around the island.

Back to Waikiki and making a mental note of what else I need to accomplish for this trip. Every single day, I saw the beach across the street filled with sunbathers, swimmers and surfers. The aquamarine blue waters are clear and the sand bars where the waves break enable people to be walking waist deep in water despite their hundred yards (or more) distance from the shore. Unreal - I realized that a part from my gratefulness to be there was my fascination at sights such as this, which actually do exist beyond the tourist postcards.

On Surfing: This was a goal that I had set for this trip, thanks to Jen and Irene for going through this with me. I have always wanted to learn: for some time now I thought of how I would have turned out if immensed in the surfing culture earlier on in life. No other better place to learn but the warm waters of the Pacific. We signed up and headed out to a section in Waikiki where it was not as crowded (No sense in a big audience to see me wipeout.). We paddled several hundred yards from the shore - not sure exactly, but it was a good distance. The instructors were all very helpful and chose the waves we were to take. First few times I tried - I could not get my balance and was having difficulty standing up on the board. Hitting the water was hard, not just on my body, but on my psyche. On my upteenth fall, while seriously wondering whether or not I'll get this, my foot hit bedrock - my left foot and toes were bruised and cut. Yet, I paddled back to hopefully catch one - and only then was I able to catch my first wave. It was an unbelievable feeling being up there, racking my brain on how this time was different from all other attempts. Two other waves were on my terms after that before we had to head back. I understood then, how one can get hooked on this.

The stinging did not start until I was back on land, not to mention the sore shoulders and the arm rashes the next day. It was all worth it - and yes, I would do it again.

We went to a Luau at the Royal Hawaiian Palace, oldest hotel in Hawaii where the Monarchs and other dignitiaries reportedly have stayed. The show was entertaining and the food was bountiful. Had a few drizzles prior to dinner, that ended in time for the program. Looked over the horizon towards Diamond Head. What we saw was a perfect component to a wonderful Hawaiian getaway.


The Iolani Palace featured exhibits and galleries that houses information on the history of how the Hawaiian Islands came to be govered and their transition from a monarchy to their United States annexation. The rich culture and pride - layered under the sand, sun and surf that the islands are known for - stands worthy of discovery as well. True story: I was mistaken for a 17 year-old by one of the tour guides at the entrance.

http://www.royalty.nu/America/Hawaii.html




"Yes, I liked da kine." Laidback living, plentiful tropical fruits and coconut trees, beautiful beaches and endless sunshine - I could get used to this. As I re-packed my luggage on the way back to the East Coast, I vowed that I will come back. Mahalo to my family and everyone who made this Hawaiian escapade a memorable one. Still enjoying the macadamias, and will be riding on this wave for as long as I could stretch this mai tai-fueled high.

No comments: