Wednesday, July 27, 2005

The September Roommate Project: 2005

In the background: Pipe Dream (Invisible Band Album), by Travis



Different types of personalities can emerge through the course of a year. When in a roommate housing situation, there are sacrifices to be made and there are benefits to be reaped - although some circumstances are such that you are uncertain which one outweighs the other. There was a 2004 version of this said project, which was not too much of success since our 3rd roommate is slated to move out. Reasons can be listed as to why Stacey and I just [momentary lapse as I try to conjure up an appropriate way to say this] did not jive with him, most of which emerged closer to the halfway point of the lease. I have confided with some friends about this and wanted to hear that it was not completely our fault, nor was completely his. Like in most situations, this phrase can also apply: "It just didn't work out."

There were new lessons learned in roommate dynamics. We had successes in the past with ex-roommies who ended being our friends well after - same reason perhaps why we thought that luck will just carry on through.

We published this Craigslist posting that gathered a good amount of responses. A variety of them, in terms of where they are moving from - common string among most of the candidates:
1. Professionals
2. Moving to Cambridge because of teaching job, grad studies, or project collaboration with Harvard.
3. late 20's
4. "Easy-going" and "Pays bills on time."

These upcoming weekends are going to be a blur with appointments - although Stacey and I have decided, with our coordinated schedules, we're leaving Saturday night out of the appointment cycle. We're not quite ready to give up our summer weekends (the few left) completely. Regarding our visitors on schedule for early-Friday night, I brought this suggestion out to the table: Why not have the three of them get the tour, and if they are interested - maybe have them hang out for a few, get some apps and few drinks to serve perhaps, and get to know more about them while talking apartment details...

Then I scratched the idea (with still a hint of possibility?)... because it was just too Reality TV.

What we told the prospective roommates was that we are not in a hurry to fill the place, as much as we are intending to be really careful about selecting a good fit. Not that we're asking for much, just someone who can be considerate, fun yet respectful of our time and space, share with the upkeep... (and would pick up the entire rent every now and again out of the kindess of his/her own heart. Willingness to provide weekly groceries a plus but not required.)


Glimmer of Hope..... Do'h!

It has been a while since since I got updated with updates from Manila. What for - I have a low threshold for pain, I discovered. I caught this headline as I was going through world news bits today:

Peso Continues to Gain in Strength

Mercy! Could it be? Holy Batman, maybe there is a chance.... then I won't have to go on ranting sessions and cut down on worrying about the parental units! With clammy hands and anticipation like no other, I clicked on the link.

http://currencynews.co.uk/index.php/2005/07/21/peso_continues_to_rise_in_strength

... only to be shut down. (Sigh) Viva la Mexico.

No comments: