
Kaiser Permanente Half-Marathon 2007, San Francisco
Sunday, February 4, 2007, 8:00am
Bib/Race #: 4341
Net Time: 1:55:05
Published Time: 2:06:05
Final choice for a starter tune: Bullet with Butterfly Wings, by the Smashing Pumpkins. It was quite a challenge to finalize the tunes in my running mix (Aptly titled: "Run, Dammit!") for this race. They advise not to start with something too fast as it would tire me out easily. They say try to stay uniform across the mix and the slow down/speed up intervals should be gradual. To think that filling your list with Chemical Brothers and Korn would get you on a consistent angry speed mode to the finish, is unwise. The beginning lines of Bullet builds up to faster, edgier riffs - shortly after hearing, "And what do I get for my pain? Betrayed desires... and a piece of the game" I picked up speed, without consciously meaning to.
Great running conditions for that day: Comfortable weather that started at 55-60 degrees and warming up to almost 70 mid-morning, the course was relatively flat with a few rolling hills through Golden Gate Park, wonderful views of Ocean Beach. I tried to focus on my running pace, while minding my gait and not over-exerting on my problematic right knee. With controlled breathing and adeptness at bobbing and weaving past other runners without tripping anybody - everything else around me did not exist... except for the lush greens in the park, the arboretum, the de Young Museum, and the crashing waves by the Great Pacific Highway. This running route is by far one of the most scenic I have ever experienced - that alone made it all worthwhile.
At last year's race in Boston, I started feeling the knee pains at Mile 7. This time around, I ran past Mile 8 slightly fatigued, but in better shape and lacking that familiar sting. At one point, oddly enough - it was as if a dose of Vivarin kicked in and I was noticing my feet gain momentum: Before getting onto the Ocean Beach route, it looked like I was sprinting for a good 5-8 minutes. I wondered if this ease was because of the Yoga, or the Glucosamine (horse) pills I have been taking everyday. It was all short-lived, as my knee started hurting at Mile 10.
It was frustrating - but not enough to get me to quit with about 3 miles to go. Comical how I thought back to my starting song - I did feel like a bullet, trying to gain momentum at the last stretch, albeit stuck with flimsy flutters. Another thing that I liked about this course, however... was the mile to the finish. Boston had about a 1.5 mile distance from the last turn (with finish line in view) to the actual finish, accented with an arched bridge in the middle to mimic a hill. So close, yet so far.... The last mile for the Kaiser race comprised of several turns. On the last right-hand turn, it was a pleasant surprise to see that only approximately 25 feet is the finish line.
I have always relied on time chip technology for accurate race scores, but this race did not utilize that. Instead, runners who finished were funnelled in lanes for another 10 feet or so - at the end of that would be the kind volunteers who collected your race# tag and put your time down at the time of receipt. This brings forth inaccurate scores because 1) It does not acknowledge your time at crossing the Start, and 2) How does that take into account the slow bastard in front of me in that lane? Sure, we're all winded - but he was just stretching while walking with a slow gibbon's gait. Screw then the scoring authority - I knew I finished well under 2 hours.
Right at the end of those lanes was a sight of a familiar face. Steve was looking around scoping the runners and probably wondering if he will ever find me. I walked over, and before I could even give him a hug of relief and gratitude, he says "Hey!.... What's that on your chin?" At Mile 6, I took a dose of a Cliff Energy Gel, Chocolate flavor. I knew it dripped and got to my face, but I also thought I scrubbed it all off. Great. I finished the second half of the race with a huge chocolate stripe across my chin. Just glorious.
The Patriots may not have made it to the Superbowl this year - but other victories were achieved this day (and we'd almost feel sorry to see Peyton "cut that meat" Manning be the butchered one if he cannot deliver a Superbowl win with his salary). Nevertheless, I highly recommend this race for first time half-marathon runners, as well as those who need to be reminded (informed, enchanted, mesmerized) of how beautiful this city is.
On the other side my angst-ridden started song, was a tune that kicked up towards the end of that Mile 13 marker that was suitable with my overall sentiments at that moment: Float On, by Modest Mouse.
Image credits: http://geology.usgs.gov/postdoc/profiles/barnard1.jpg
No comments:
Post a Comment