I never thought I would get to try it. Imagine being in Las Vegas. On a heatwave. Dry air in a room that felt like 120 degrees. You generate sweat at 2 gallons per minute...
Now do an eagle pose.
I have walked by Funky Door Yoga (Pine @ Bush) on numerous occasions, several of which I seriously considered just walking in and signing up. The facility is clean, and the mix of colors on the main areas and bathrooms complement the yoga caricatures on display - giving the location a relaxed vibe. Friendly-folk staffed at that location were kind to newbies. I was warned that it was going to be toasty in that room - they did not lie (It felt like I was drinking lukewarm tea out of my nalgene bottle halfway through). The instructor was engaging, and she had that good balance of not being too ohm-zen(ish) in walking us through the poses, without sounding short of a drill sergeant either. Compared to the classes offered in the gym, the crowd here is more in-tuned with the practice.

In Hatha and Ashtanga Yoga gym classes, I was the one in the back that would go "thump!" while I struggle to do the crow. I will still probably be royally sucking at the poses until I fully get this into my system. Yoga, in general, initially gave me the impression that no "work" was being done with the sessions. It humbled me. Bikram Yoga, on the other hand, is out to get me schooled.
2 comments:
YAY!!!!! I'm so glad you tried Bikram! Everyone of the teachers here in Boston raves about Funky Door in SF. I just finished the 30-day challenge. The more often you go to Bikram, the easier it gets to keep going and stay motivated.
I don't know how you endure it... Kudos! Although you know... I am quite amazed at how flexible I can be in that boiler room.
Post a Comment