In the background: Inside and Out, by Feist (from Let it Die)
Apparently, I do this every once in a while: I will fall off the face of the earth and then apologize for not having been here nor there. I go MIA, only to emerge with a barrage of excuses.
Well, I moved, alright? I packed/shipped my life across some odd thousands of miles, and now I see more of the Pacific waters than the Atlantic. I see steep residential hills, whereas I used to be lost among a crowd of transient university students and fervent Fenway folk. Leave me be, not like everybody does this kind of thing often....
Okay, so people move quite often - sometimes across further distances and transcending languages. I have been 2+ months into this West coast existence - have I fully settled in? Unpacked yes, the settling in part is pending. I still have a Massachusetts drivers license and a Boston phone area code and that needs to change.
It has to change amongst other things because I like it here. I miss the brisk weather (and overall attitude?) of the east coast dwellers. I miss knowing where to go before I even glance at the directions. I miss the change of colors this time of year and I miss the comfort in knowing where I can get a hearty plate of potato pancakes (Zaftigs, at Coolidge Corner).
I like it here. I see myself being in San Francisco for a long time that before I continue to maintain this online journal with praises on this fabulous city, (like a great view seen over Seacliff, or an amzing restaurant on Sutter and Larkin, etc) why don't I just dispell some myths:
Everyone on the west coast/California is nice and friendly. Not necessarily - most people here are hurriedly trying to get to work like everyone else. (maybe not by the same sense of urgency as others, though). Do not stress about having to smile at every person you meet on the street. I think the ratio of sweethearts and jerks remain pretty consistent across coasts. Save San Diego and the SoCal, perhaps.
San Francisco's warmest month is in September. Maybe for an hour last Sunday, but it was a balmy 56 degreess last night, slightly windy.
If you're going to San Francisco, be sure to wear some flowers in your hair. I scanned the section of my one-way ticket flight. Nobody with flowers, no hippies. Defeated, sat back down until we've taxied fully to the gate. I looked outside the window and saw my new city.... I was too excited that I forgot about the regrets of not having bought a flower hair wreath.
3 comments:
wahhhhh I moved across country...try moving across the world where you don't speak the language nor understand the culture fully.....ohh wait you did that once too....fine so I guess I will have to accept your excuse of being busy.....hope all remains well
"The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco."
-Mark Twain
Good to hear you are doing well! Post pictures of the city for your friends back east. I still miss California sometimes.
For all to remain well - yes, I'm hoping with you.
Dave, it is great here but there's nothing like Boston autumn. I'll get you pictures - send over bright orange leaves, yes?
Post a Comment