Sunday, June 18, 2006

On Googling and Going the Distance

JP Morgan Corporate Challenge, Boston: June 15, 2006
3.5 miles, My Finish time: (can't remember)

It was a bit of a warm day to have ran this race last Thursday. This event usually pulls in most corporate hounds around Boston/Metro areas to show camaraderie in crossing that finish line, or scoping out other competitor companies in the mix. What's more amazing is that the real draw to this race is the second extension: a race to any of the bars downtown. Venues are packed - even more amazing is that you scan the crowd and find runners in sweaty shirts and shorts and sneakers enjoying the post-run brew (or two). Same people who probably run companies and manage projects during the day in their sharp suits.

Companies opt to have their uniform shirts made, and possibly be entered in the shirt contest for the most creative ones. There were the standard company-motivation styles ("Well-trained, well-managed, well-run...." ) or the ones that need a re-organization in the originality department ("ITC u later!" or "UBC u later!").

Being in the search marketing industry leaves you with a good amount of room for cheekiness. Stories were abound amongst my co-workers about how they got stopped while running by someone who read our shirts, laughed and asked "Where are you guys located? That shirt - too funny." The front has the standard company logo and colors. The back of our shirts? A caption that left Mr. Runner "OTC u at the finish line!" in a cloud of dust:

"Sometimes, when I'm alone.... I Google myself."

5 comments:

Sarah said...

Hey Charmaine! It's been a long time - I hope all is well. Those shirts sound awesome. Who ran in the race?! HAHAHA

Sarah said...

Hey Charmaine! It's been a long time - I hope all is well. Those shirts sound awesome. Who ran in the race?! HAHAHA

CMad said...

What's up? I'm in SF already. To answer your question... no, the shirts were not powerful enough to have us blow over the competition.

Sarah said...

Good for you! How are things going out there? Who else went besides BK?

Me said...

lol... I'm love the shirts. We need some of those at Carat.