In the background: Say What You Want (some soundtrack), by Texas
Most of this Memorial Day weekend is spent on packing/re-organizing/discarding stuff that I have accumulated since the last move.
Here's a personal challenge: Trying to do as much as I can, hitting on items I wanted to accomplish per day - without looking at my San Francisco moving checklist. After a while, I do revisit said list, "Okay... uhhm, did that.... yup.... (gosh darn) it, forgot that one!"
May left me in a bit of a high after securing a lease in San Francisco a couple of weeks back. I found the rental market to be a bit different out west than here in Boston: Inventory for 2 months out - July - was hard to come by. It was a task trying to present my case to the property managers who want to rent spaces here-and-now... They'll have inventory in July - but apparently can't hold it for me in the 1.5 month timeframe.
Struck luck: Was able to find a place in Lower Pacific Heights, near key areas in the city apart from nice neighborhoods (Japantown, where the street signs have Kanji translations). I start renting middle of June... even though I don't get there until the end of that month. Unfortunately in this situation, I am at the mercy of the landlords and therefore not in whining- control (when it comes to renting, are we ever?).
Wikipedia reports Larry Page and Sergey Brin could possibly be up the street.
I was reminded of how much harder it was to try and determine which items would be put in the boxes, which are the ones that need to be left behind for Salvation Army, and what's to be thrown out completely (rest assured, no acid wash jeans will be transported across coasts). Paperwork Organization Dilemma: While I have tried many times before to have one key place to locate important documents, I was always wary about writing passcodes and log-in information to various online accounts I do not use often. Consequently, I would rack my brain for what obscure password I might have used for one area, only to finish 3 attempts with a "hmmph!" and a clicked Forgot your password? text link. Thanks to iTunes, some mileage programs, etc... I still was able to access the sites (with 6 emails from their trusty log-in assistance departments). Although I think my "What's your favorite song as a child?" p-word clue would need to be revised.
On that note, might be good to hold on to that clipboard of items that I need to check off... as I complete them. Just a thought.
No comments:
Post a Comment