Friday, March 24, 2006

525,600 Minutes

... How do you measure, measure a year? In daylights, in sunsets, in cups of coffee... in inches, in miles, in laughter, in strife.


[Insert age here] years... and counting. All through 2005, unto this day - I can very well say it had been a good year, in spite of some trivial things I might have ranted about. Trivial, I say now while looking at everything in perspective - because feel I have been blessed with changes and opportunities that were never readily availble to me in the past 4-5 years or so. The concept of turning another year older has lost its luster and, apart from some who find it to be an opportunity to imbibe strong cocktails and be incoherent without the shame, has even grown to be feared in some circles. I say, fear nothing... bring on my birthday, world - but hold off on the wrinkles.

Some key highlights of the previous year - most of which were not mentioned in previous blog posts:
  • The power of green - received permanent residence status. That card may be anything but green, but nothing could crush me the day that the postmaster dropped this wonderful news in a letter.
  • Hinahanap- hanap kita, Manila - For the first time in 5 years, February 2005 marked my first trip in a long while (5 years) back to the homeland. The unbearable traffic and equally intolerable humidity was received with open arms - I didn't mind, knowing I'll be seeing sunsets like this.
  • Transition nation - The hotel industry gig was good while it lasted. Now that I have a thicker hide after having weathered severe personalities and equally daunting event planning scenarios, it is great to be in search marketing - avenue dubbed as one steadily shaking up what was the comfortable realm of traditional advertising.
  • "How to say... humble genius?" - Haruki Murakami reads at MIT. I have been asked why I didn't get to blog about this, since I was planning for a month prior to the actual event and this was one of the biggest events thus far with regards to my literary preoccupations. Emily informed me of this over the phone - I was at work, so had to stiffle a scream. In his works that I have read - I have nothing but admiration for a man whose thought process I'd like to analyze for a psychology thesis. No one else has the ability to incorporate a Sheep Man, and the iterations of contemporary jazz tunes and get away with it. For someone whose work is widely read and popularly translated, it adds to his good qualities the lack of arrogance and (somewhat self-deprecating) humor.
  • A plan, seven years in the making - Beantown is a great city: I'll never cheer for any other sports hometeams, and I will most likely never cuss in traffic in other places than I do here. I miss it already before I even fill the first packaging box. In 2005 - I was given that opportunity (one that I had to carefully deliberate on - nevertheless, signed up for) to head to San Francisco for July 2006 (2 months and counting)... I told my family over the West side that "I will be heading there soon" - seven years back.
  • Concertography (in connection to this past post) - Jazz Fest last year just set me off through a series of live shows - my lifeblood still, actually - as there is nothing comparable to being a part of such a setting where one is more connected to the music heard from the stage - instead of the speakerbox. Ticketstubs from '05 - early '06: U2, Dave Matthews Band (July and December), Our Lady Peace, Garbage, Pixies, Tori Amos.... several smaller outdoor/cafe venues, etc. (Raseeka, did I miss anything?)
  • Climb Every (indoor rock climbing) Mountain: When Lena intoduced me to this new gig, I got into it and became even more enthused to get better - this motivation having stemmed after my recovery on that initial climb that resulted to me being one sore pulp. At least it will get me through until the waves are to be tackled again, or when it's not too cold to be outside running (I heart running but I hate treadmills). And I quote my friend from rowing, "What obscure sport will you tackle next? Curling?" How about another point to ponder, from my mom: "Why do you have be involved in such masculine sport activities?" Sure, ma - because I'd look really good in a tutu.
My friends are doing great with their careers and relationships (2 weddings). My family and relatives back home are all well in spite of the usual stress inducing factors. I learned new things and been humbled by the ones I have yet to be completely familiar with. I had to carry on with the usual decisions day-to-day while in a constant mindset towards that goal of eliminating chaos - only to realize I can welcome it every once in a while.

So, yes - what a year it has been indeed.

No comments: