
December 2005, like most recent months, left me in a haze of to-do lists and deadlines. Time is at a pace which I can barely keep up. On a last minute decision - opted to stay local for the Christmas celebration, one spent with good friends and good food. After almost two years of living in Cambridge, Stacey and I decided to break-in the kitchen and host a dinner. Small group of zany, otherwise thoughtful and kind friends.
Lesson learned: Do not give half-hearted invites just to be "nice" to a random person, so as not to be pidgeon-holed into a corner of possibly having said random person over. Such is the trap that dinner-party-hosting virgins fall into. Got away with it and all worked well - at least this time around.
Lesson learned #2: Ensure that every unwanted article is taken off that frozen turkey before hitting the oven. Again, all went well, but Stacey and I had a chuckle as our guests enjoyed the brie, fig spread and tapas appetizers in the living room.
Went to NY last weekend to go see about a tree.... I have been in crowds before, but it was madness around the Rockefeller Center. What's the big deal with a gigantic spruce with lights? And yet so it is... amazing enough for Kim and myself to be staring at the tree for over a minute and just allowing ourselves to be lost among the crowd.

Went out that night and had a great old time at the village... good enough that I wasn't heartbroken when our karaoke plans fell through and I rode the Fung Wah Soul Train bus home with a mild, throbbing headache. Interrogated Denise (right) as to why she left VH1 for this more serious media gig in a news network (which will be unnamed). Man, it was great having this as a conversation starter whenever I find myself in a somewhat impressionable group: "Oh, and a friend of mine works for VH1 as one of the head researchers. I constantly thank her for those wonderful 'I love the [insert decade here]' documentaries! (even though I know that she did not directly get involved with production.)"

There is much to ponder upon: on the year that was, of friends I lost contact with, on family several miles away, on the exhausting PC argument of "Happy Holidays" vs. "Merry Christmas," and what's to come ahead. Several toasts were uttered and maybe a few pounds put on - but a reflective attitude came over me. This will probably last until I finally get to turn that first page of the SF/Bay Area Relocating handbook and start organizing some sort of (gulp) plan.
I'll leave it at that for now and try to gather some semblance of an inspiration to do a later review of the year that was - for what a year it has been indeed.
No comments:
Post a Comment