Monday, May 30, 2005

To blog or not to blog....?

The topic of long-distance correspondence came up recently in a conversation with my friend Malarcus*. He is set to move to Southeast Asia in a few months (leaving his house, good job within a distinguished company, family, and his equally crazy friends), a project I will never fully understand. (Although having taken that same path several years back, dyslexic version, enabled me to see his point. Sort of.)

Sez me: I was from that side of the planet - the humidity fried my brain enough for me to pack my bags... [me shaking my head] am missing a step.
M: [Insert reason for travel here]....You can email me. I'll probably disappear for a few months before anybody hears from me. Either that or I would have caught a unique malaria strain - but you'll hear from me soon enough.
Sez me: Set up a blog.
M: If I'll be patient enough to update it, sure. Hey, weren't you planning to set-up one for your friends in Manila...

Had been intending to plan one - true. Had vowed to be better in keeping in touch - absolutely. Such is life to have little things come up to get you sidetracked. I know some people who just read that and let out a laugh. ("Hesusmaryosep, Cham... update your rolodex of excuses.")

Last time I was back home in the Philippines was February 2005. The heat was quite a contrast to Boston's 20-degrees below freezing weather at that time and it was good to get away. Realized that the miles do make a difference sometimes in how connections can get sacrificed - although it need not be the case. Sienna* thought I was living in NY the whole time. Allie* was laughing in disbelief when I told her that this Pearl of Manresa '96 Cynics Realm used to be in event management, wedding planning included. Jake*, who kept me (in)sane and was one of the key components of my senior year's Amber Power force, had been in a renowned band in Manila for some time (recently made it big in the MTV Asia circuit).

Distance from Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA to Manila, Philippines is reportedly 8,434 miles as the crow flies (7,329 nautical miles). Long commute to home. Here's my (amateurish) attempt at reporting on the ground breaking events (if any at all) happening from my corner of the world. Useless musings -random thoughts, if you may, rising from the clutter of my desk.


* (You guys know this disclaimer....) The names have been changed to protect yada, yada...

No comments: